Wednesday, 29 April 2009

A great holiday



I went to Sicily on holiday two years ago in July. It was my first time there and I really liked it.

I met a friend in Rome and we took the overnight train down from there. The journey took about twelve hours but we could sleep a little. We didn't need to get off the train when it got to Reggio de Calabria in the south coast. The train manouvered onto a boat to cross the sea to Sicily and then continued its journey down to Catania.

We stayed in a nice hotel which wasn't very expensive. I didn't think Catania was a beautiful city when we arrived there but I was wrong. It is a city with a lot of character. It has a lot of Greek and Roman influences as well as an important opera house. There is also a historical fish market which is very interesting. There is even a castle.


We rented a car in Catania and drove to Taormina; a small picturesque town on top of a cliff. It has an impressive Greek theatre. It is near Mount Etna, which we visited on the way back to Catania.


We also visited other towns* - Noto and Siracusa.


We then went North, left the car and took a boat to an island called Lipari. There are seven other volcanic islands nearby. I would like to return another time* to explore all the islands.


After Lipari, we returned to the mainland and got the car. We drove to Palermo, the capital of Sicily. It is an interesting city with a lot of Norman architecture. There is an impressive cathedral in the nearby town of Monreale.


We stayed in a trendy hotel but when my friend returned to Rome, I changed to a less expensive hotel. One day I went to a beach near Palermo and another day* I visited a pretty town called Erice, which is high in the mountains.


I flew back to Rome from Palermo. I really enjoyed Sicily and loved the food; of course!


Grammar:


We use another* with singular nouns and other* with plural nouns.


Write about a holiday that you enjoyed a lot. Where did you go? What did you do? How long did you stay there? How did you get there? Did you buy anything? and so on.


No comments: