For big quantities we use much, many and a lot of.
We use much in questions and negatives. We use it with uncountable nouns.
- I can't go out tonight. I don't have much money.
- She doesn't have much time to study.
- There isn't much milk left.
- How much wine do we need for the party?
- Does your teacher give you much homework?
We don't use much in positive sentences so we use a lot of.
- I have much work this week. WRONG
- I have a lot of work this week. RIGHT
We use many in questions and negatives. We use it with countable nouns.
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Were there many people at the party?
- There aren't many tall buildings in Madrid.
- You didn't make many mistakes.
We can use many in positive sentences but it is quite formal. A lot of is not formal.
- I ate many chocolates and biscuits at the weekend. OK but formal
- I ate a lot of chocolates and biscuits at the weekend. RIGHT
- There are many foreigners who live in Madrid. FORMAL (eg in a newspaper)
- There are a lot of foreigners who live in Madrid. INFORMAL
We can use a lot of in questions, negatives and positives but in informal contexts. We use with countable and uncountable nouns.
- He doesn't have a lot of time.
- Do you have a lot of friends?
lots of = a lot of but it is very informal.
- I had lots of fun at the weekend.
Short answers v long answers:
- How much wine did you drink last night? A lot / Lots.
- I drank a lot of / lots of wine last night.
- How much water do you drink each day? Quite a lot.
- I drink quite a lot of water each day.
- How many cigarettes do you smoke a day? Not a lot / Not many.
- I don't smoke many / a lot of cigarettes.
- How much time do you have? Not a lot / Not much.
- I don't have a lot of / much time.
- How much bread do we need? None.
- We don't need any bread.
Look at the previous posts on "quantifiers" (see under labels on the right of the page) and write some comments there.
No comments:
Post a Comment