Sunday, 23 November 2008

Letter to a penfriend

Hi Rachel,

My name's Graham. I'm from Scotland but I live in Madrid. I am 36. I'm an English teacher at a school.

I speak Spanish and Italian. I would like to improve my Spanish but it isn't easy.

My mother and father live in Scotland. Dad works in an office and Mam is a housewife. I have a brother who lives in the Middle East. He is married and he has two children. He's 41.

I like eating out and going out with my friends at the weekend. I would like to visit other parts of Spain.

Please write soon and tell me about you.

Best Wishes,

Graham

Write a similar letter to a penfriend.

10 comments:

Dewy said...

Hi Elle
How are you?
My name is José Luis, but all say me Dewy, I'm a salesman in my own company. I speak Spanish and study English in Hyland languages, in Serrano street, near Colon's Square. My teacher' name is Graham, He's fom Scotland, in my class there is ten Students, they're very nice. English is dificult for pronuntiation it.
My mother and father live in Valladolid, my mother is housewife and my father is retired, I have one brother, one sister and a niece.
I love eat with red-wine and travelling, I like read and speak with my friends, the cinema like too.
Best wishes,
José Luis (Dewy)

Dewy said...

Hi Graham
Good morning, how are you, I think so well.

The next Tuesday don´t go to English class for labour motives.
Best Wishes

José Luis

Graham said...

Hi Dewy,

Is Elle's surname MacPherson by any chance? lol

Hi Elle,

How are you?
My name is José Luis, but EVERYONE CALLS me Dewy, I'm a salesman in my own company. I speak Spanish and study English AT Hyland languages, in Serrano street, near COLON Square.

My TEACHER'S name is Graham. He's fom Scotland. In my class THERE ARE ten Students. They're very nice. English PRONUNCIATION IS VERY DIFFICULT.

My mother and father live in Valladolid, my mother is A housewife and my father is retired, I have a brother, a sister and a niece.

I love EATING with red wine and travelling; I like READING and SPEAKING with my friends. I LIKE THE CINEMA too.
Best wishes,

todo el mundo = everyone

Remember to look at my corrections from this post and previous ones, and try not to repeat the same mistakes!

Graham said...

OK Dewy, thanks for letting me know.

Good morning, how are you? I HOPE YOU ARE WELL.

NEXT Tuesday, I CAN'T go to English class for WORK REASONS.

See you on Thursday, then.

Anonymous said...

FROM: Cristina.
TO: María.
SUBJECT: Hi from Spain.

Hi María
My name's Cristina. I'm from Spain and I live in Madrid. I'm secretary and I works for a national company. I like my job. Soo I study English at Hyland Center near my work (=place work). I go at Hyland tree hours for week. My teacher's name is Graham and he's Scottish.
I speak French but I practise in my free time with my friend Sonia. I want to learn English for possibles works and I think that English is very important.
I have two sisters. My father works in a shop and my mother works in a hospital. My sister is married and she has two children. My little sister works in a school and she studies at university. My nieces are 9 and 5. I'm 34.
I love go to the park with my nieces and I like reading the novels and listening to the good music. I like going to the cinema but I don't like sport.
Please write soon.
Best wishes.
Cristina.

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham,

I have a little question:
How do you say "penfriend" in Spanish?.
I imagine it but I don't sure.

Thanks.

Graham said...

My name's Cristina. I'm from Spain and I live in Madrid. (1) I'M A secretary and I WORK for a national company. I like my job.

I study English at Hyland Center near my work (=place OF work). I GO TO Hyland (2) THREE hours A week. My teacher's name is Graham and he's Scottish.

I speak French AND I practise in my free time with my friend Sonia. I want to learn English for POSSIBLE JOBS and I think that English is very important.

I have two sisters. My father works in a shop and my mother works in a hospital.

My OLDER sister is married and she has two children. My little (YOUNGER) sister works in a school and she studies at university. My nieces are 9 and 5. I'm 34.

I (3) LOVE GOING to the park with my nieces and I like reading (4) NOVELS and listening to (4)GOOD MUSIC. I like going to the cinema but I don't like (4)sport.

Please write soon.
Best wishes.
Cristina.

(1) Don't forget "a" for jobs:

You are secretary. WRONG
You are a secretary. RIGHT

(2) You can say a / per week

I go to the gym three days a week.
= I go three days per week.

(3)with the verbs like, love and hate + verb + ing :

I like reading. I love cooking.

(4)when we speak about things generally, we don't use "the":

I like music. RIGHT
I like the music. WRONG

Graham said...

Hi Cristina,

I am not sure how you say " penfriend" in Spanish. Maybe "amigo de corespondencía".

It is someone who you write to but never meet. Sometimes young children at school have a " penfriend" in another country.

I don't sure. WRONG
I am not sure. RIGHT

123456 said...

Hi Graham,

My names`s Ana.I´m from Spain, and I live in Madrid.I´m a fashion designer. Currently, I am not working, I am rearing my daghther.I study English in my free time.
I speak Spanish and a very little English for my job and to travel.
I have a big family. I have two brothers and a sister.My father is a
retired and my mother doesn`t work, she is housewife. My brothers and sister work in Madrid.
I like music, cinema, sports. I go with my familiy every weekend to have dinner in some restaurant and I usually go to museums, to parks, etc.
Please write soon

Best Regards
Ana Mota

Graham said...

My names`s Ana. I´m from Spain and I live in Madrid. I´m a fashion designer. Currently (AT THE MOMENT), I am not working. I am rearing (taking care of) my DAUGHTER.I study English in my free time.

I speak Spanish AND VERY little English. I WANT TO LEARN IT for my job and to travel.

I have a big family. I have two brothers and a sister.My father is a BUSINESSMAN and my mother doesn`t work. My brothers and sister work in Madrid.

I like music, cinema AND sports. I go with my FAMILY every weekend to have dinner in some restaurant and I usually go to museums and to parks, etc (and so on)

etc = and so on
currently = at the moment

rearing is more for animals and their young. "criar" = raise or bring up. take care of/ look after = cuidar