
I had a great July. I spent a week in Paris at the start of the month. Before going, I bought a good guidebook and decided what I wanted to see. I didn't do the normal touristy things - I didn't go up the Eiffel Tower nor visit the Louvre. I did these things during my last stay in the city fourteen years before. I walked around a lot and often discovered places by chance. I took my time and occassionally stopped to have a coffee or a glass of wine. I really enjoyed watching the world go by from a café.
I went on holiday alone and so it was easier to meet the locals. I found the Parisians polite and quite friendly. I can't speak French but I could understand some conversations. I think the French are fascinating people to observe and I love their style.

One morning I visited a cemetary which contains the graves of several famous people such as Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf and Oscar Wilde. Some graves were very elaborate while others were quite simple. There were just a few visitors at the cemetery as that morning there was a huge thunderstorm.
In fact, the weather was the only thing that I was unlucky with. There wasn't any repeat of the summer a few years ago when so many people died because of the heat.
Vocabulary:
Put the "green" words from above next to their definition. They are not in the same order as they appear in the text.
- the opposite of the cold -
- to do something slowly, without hurry -
- without company -
- not a lot -
- "home" of a dead person -
- "violent" weather, when it rains a lot -
- not planned -
- well-mannered -
- expression to list examples (formal) -
- some but not many -
- not fortunate -
- to pass (in front of you) -
- because (formal) -
- in reality -
- enormous -
Grammar points:
Why not write some examples of your own using the following?
- before / after + verbing
- verb + a lot
- frequency adverbs (often, occassionally etc) go before verbs (except "to be")
- really + (enjoy, love, like, hate)
- (enjoy, love , hate, like, don't mind) + verbing
- quite/very + adjectives
- there was (n't) + singular, there were (n't) + any +plural
- a few/several + countable nouns
- because of + noun
Now it is your turn. Tell everybody how you spent your holidays. Try to use new vocabulary; look up words in your dictionary (check out Cambridge Learners Dictionary). Also try to practice some grammar points that you have studied in class. Don't worry, I will correct any mistakes that you make and create a list of the most important ones. You can learn from each other. And why not send me a pic of your holidays?
Curious to know more about my holiday in Paris? Don't be afraid to ask. Send a list of questions and I will happily answer some of them. It's a chance to practice constructing questions.
Match the famous (Piaf, Wilde or Morrison) with their quotes:
"I want to make people cry even when they don't understand my words."
"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
" Love cannot save you from your own fate."
"For me, singing is a way of escaping. It's another world. I'm no longer on earth."
You can check your answers at Brainyquote as well as find more quotes from the famous.
What are your favourite quotes? Whose are they?
8 comments:
This year I have had a few diferent holidays.
Ileft my city in april, becouse I wanted to change some aspects of my life and I decided to try luck here in Gran Canaria, so this year I went to León, my city, during my summer holidays to see my parents and visit my friends
I spent my time only reading and sleeping during the day, because the weather wasn´t very good; it was raining for many days, it was cold and also it had many days of storm.
In the night I usually went out to dinner with my friends to eat the typical Leon's food; I was really messing it...; later we enjoyed in the bars or in a disco.
This is everything that I did. I think i had a bit boring holidays. I belive that the next year I will stop a few days to enjoy the beach an the good weather here in Gran Canaria!!!
Hi Javi! Glad to hear that you are enjoying life in the Canaries. Like in Leon, the weather in Scotland can never be guaranteed; even in the summer. And like you, I love visiting "home" for a while only.
(1)... to try my luck
(2)I just spent my time reading...
(3)...there were many stormy days.
(4)In the evening/ at night...
(5) ...typical food from Leon
(6)we had fun/ had a great time/ enjoyed ourselves (enjoy+ noun/ reflexive pronoun)
(7) ...my holidays were a bit boring.
(8) ...that next year (not "the" next year)
Good work, Javi! Just a few minor errors! I look forward to your next contribution.
Hi, I'm Pilar. This year I have two weeks of holidays. I spent a wek in Trujillo. I have bought a house nine years ago. Where I like about the country is the peace. I really enjoy looking at the castell, the the main square and the monuments. in the afternoons walk by the town. I have time to read a good book or to lisent my music favorite. Always there is someone with whom speaking. I enjoy eating in family, during the year us do not we see a lot. Tranquil holidays nearly time and money but holidays al end.
Ci vediamo venerdi, teacher. I have tried it!!
Hi Pilar! Thanks for the contribution. I know you are always busy and don't have much free time.
What you wrote is fine; just remember to put verbs into Past Tense. Compare this corrected text to the original.
Hi, I'm Pilar.I had two weeks' holidays this year. I spent a week in Trujillo where I bought a house nine years ago. What I like about the country is the peace and quiet. I really enjoy looking at the castle, the main square and the monuments. In the afternoons we went for a walk around town. I had time to read a good book and to listen to my favourite music. There was always someone to speak to. I enjoyed eating together as a family because during the year we do not see each other a lot.
(I'm not sure what you mean by the final "tranquil holidays" part. I will ask you in class)
See you on Friday, teacher. I have tried it!!
I visited Trujillo some years ago on my way to Lisbon. We stayed in the Parador. It's a pleasant town to spend a relaxing holiday. I remember the square which has a statue of an explorer who was born there. Didn't he conquest Mexico?
Hi Graham!
The holidays was very shot, I need more days to holidays Pilar!
In July I visited Hío, its a Galicia´s village. Its was sunny days when i stayed there, and i went to the beach but the sea water was very cold, and i walk in a montain too.
I visited Vigo, Pontevedra, Santiago de Compostela And Viana do Castelo in Portugal too.
The portuguese food are very cheap.
I visited Ireland two weeks ago, the irish people are very pleasant but the life are very expensive.
Dublin is a very nice city, I rented a bike to meet the city
I saw the Malahide castle and U2 wall, and many churches.
I stayed in Belfast for a day, I think that Its a very grey city.
The irish food is the worst, I missed the spanish food a lot.
And the night life wasnt very good, all pubs close at half past two...the irish people go out very early, but the live music is great!
Next year I would like going to Praga and I will visit Granada.
See you Graham
Hello Graham,I´am Inmaculada.
My holidays one more year i´m going to in motorcycle.I´m going to Cantabria specifically in San Vicente de la Barquera.I visited diferent villages, for example Llanes,Suancez,Comillas, Torrelavega, Santander,etc....too visited the natural park of Cabárceno with their wonderfull animals and the caves of Soplao (impressive).
I´m enjoy very much of the pleasure with the lunch, of the music, of the partys on the villages, of the nature.....
That´s it!!!!! seven days briefs but very intense.
Chao see you leter!!
Hi Silvia! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your holidays, even if they were too short!
The holidays were very short; I need more holidays, Pilar!
I visited Hío, a village in Galicia, in July.It was sunny when i stayed there, and i went to the beach but the water was very cold, and i walked in the mountains too.
I visited Vigo, Pontevedra, Santiago de Compostela And Viana do Castelo in Portugal too.
Portuguese food is very cheap.
I visited Ireland two weeks ago, The Irish are very pleasant but the cost of living is very high.
Dublin is a very nice city. I rented a bike to explore the city.
I saw the Malahide castle and U2 wall, and many churches.
I stayed in Belfast for a day I think that it's a very grey city.
The Irish food is the worst, I missed the Spanish food a lot.
And the night life wasnt very good, all pubs close at half past two...the Irish people go out very early, but the live music is great!
Next year I would like to go to Prague and I will visit Granada.
That was good work, Silvia.
It was also a good chance to practice your English. Did you have any problems?
I would like to visit Galicia too one day. Maybe next year!
See you on Friday!
Hi Inma!
I remember you telling us about your last holidays to Italy by motorbike. You didn't travel so far this time.
Be careful and use the Past Tense. "I'm going to...." is for the Future.
I went another year on holiday by motorbike. I went to Cantabria; to San Vicente de la Barquera. I visited diferent villages such as Llanes,Suancez,Comillas, Torrelavega, Santander and so on. I also visited the natural park of Cabárceno with its wonderful wildlife and the impressive caves of Soplao
I really enjoyed the food, the music, the village festivals and the nature.
That was it!!!!! Seven days, not so long but very intense.
Ciao! See you later!
Look at your mistakes and the mistakes of the others too. Good attempt! I hope to see you on Friday!
Post a Comment