Monday, 26 January 2009

Object pronouns

Listen to the pronunciation of the object pronouns and then decide the equivalent vowel sound. Use the phonemic script at the end of your books. Check if they are long sounds or short sounds. Also check the usual spellings. But there are a lot of exceptions. Don't forget to listen here to the sounds and words in the chart.

me - like egg or tree?

you - like bull or boot?

him - like fish or tree?

her - like bird or egg?

it - like fish or tree?

us* - like bull or up?

you

them* - like egg or bird?

*when you listen to the pronunciation of us and them, you hear two options:

us (pronunciation above) or us as in (como) - meet us at 9.

them (pronunciation above) or them as in (como) - I like them.



Complete the gaps with an object pronoun:
  1. How often do you phone your parents? I phone (1) every weekend.
  2. I understand French but I can't speak (2) very well.
  3. Please listen to (3) when I am speaking.
  4. Anthony Hopkins is my favourite actor. I really like (4).
  5. We would like to improve our English. Can you give (5) more lessons?
  6. Where is your brother? I want to talk to (6) both together.
  7. Is she here? I have a present for (7)
  8. I'm sorry I can't help (8). Ask your teacher.

Don't forget to do the exercises on the EF web page too: File 4c (1) and File 4c (2)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said...

All your answers are correct in the pronunciation EXERCISE (be careful with the spelling).

Don't be afraid of pronunciation. Practice makes perfect.

Graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.