Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Introducing Yourself.

This is me. My mother took this photo on one of the few warm, sunny days this summer in Scotland.




I am 35 years old but almost everyone says that I look older. I was born in Inverness, a small town in the North of Scotland.

My parents still live there. I visit them twice a year. I love living in Spain but I sometimes miss home.

I came to Madrid in 2001. I think it's a great city with friendly people.

I started teaching 13 years ago. I lived in Rome from 1994 to 2001. I much prefer Madrid but I really miss Italian food.

I just have the one brother. He lives abroad too but in the Middle East. I also have a nephew and a niece who are 7 and 4, respectively.

I love animals and we have always had pets in our family. This is a photo of one of the cats; Zeb and the other is Rhu. Our dog Judy died in July. She was a great dog. It's really sad but she had a long and happy life - 17.5 years!!

I would love to have a pet here in Madrid but I think it is difficult to keep one in a flat. My parents have a garden and they are often at home.

I try to improve my Spanish in my free time. I am reading a French novel at the moment but it's in Spanish!

I don't play any sport but I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I often walk to my lessons and I enjoy going for walks around the city.

I really like going out at the weekend. Perhaps, too much! Madrid has some great nightlife.

I visited many places this summer - Paris, Rome, Sicily, Inverness and London. I had a great time. I have never been to the Greek islands; so next year, I'd like to go there.



Now it's your turn. I want you to write something about yourself - family, job, interests etc. I can add some photos if you send them to my regular mail.

5 comments:

Jose Luis said...

Hi! I love animals too. I want to give an advice for people that want a pet: Please, you don`t buy a pet in shops, you can adopt dogs or cats in animal centers, because a lot of people letf their pets in the street. For example, in this page you can see some animal to adopt:
http://www.elrefugio.org/Pagina.aspx?FrameWorkCodigoPagina=Pagina_NuestrosPerros

Graham said...

Hi Jose Luis!

I've just been looking at the site you suggested to find animals for adoption. I completely agree with you that it is unnecessary to buy a cat or a dog from pet shops. I also think that it is much more important the love, care and attention you give your pet than the breed. With regard to dogs; mongrels make better-behaved and healthier pets.

"advice" (like "news" and "information") is an uncountable noun. So we say: "I want to give you some advice" ( we don't use "an" before or add "s" to make advices)

Don't buy a pet in shops! (we don't use "you" for imperatives)

... a lot of people abandon their pets.

I am glad that you have started to contribute to the blog. But I think that you should attempt Mad Teacher 2. Get your Mum to post in Mad Teacher 1!

Fran said...

Hi Graham, I´m Paco two and I try to write some sentences.I have a dog and it´s to keep me company.It`s too late, see you on tuesday. Bye.

Graham said...

Hi Paco!

Good to see that you have joined us in the blog.

Look at the more recent posts: "What does he/she do?", "possessive "s" (1)" and "Family". See what others have written and then write your post.

I´m Paco two and I WILL TRY to write some sentences. I have a dog TO KEEP me company.
It`s too late. See you on Tuesday.

Remember that days, months, languages and nationalites have CAPITAL LETTERS!

I have a dog (why?) to keep me company. (para hacerme....)

Other similar sentences:

I go to a language school (why?) to learn English.

I have a motorbike to go to work.

too late = demasiado tarde

It's never too late to learn a language!

OK Paco, I am waiting to see more posts from you.

Have a good weekend! See you next Tuesday.

Graham said...

Ah, one more thing. You can do the same as José Luis and become a follower of the blog. You can put a photo too.