Monday, 11 May 2009

Going away for the weekend.




I went away to Caceres for the weekend. It was great to be away from Madrid for a change; I hardly ever get away.

I went there by car but I didn't do the driving. I just looked at the scenery. We left Madrid at around 10am, so I didn't get up very early. We didn't go straight to Caceres. We drove through Monfragüe, a nature reserve, where there is a lot of birdlife. I didn't take my binoculars but I saw a lot of vultures and some eagles.

We arrived in Caceres about 3pm and checked into the hotel. We went to an expensive restaurant for lunch. We had some French wine with the meal. The food was excellent and we ate a lot. There was goat on the menu, which is traditional in the area, but I didn't choose it. I went for a nap after lunch.

There were lots of people, especially young ones, for an international music festival. There was a big stage in the main square. We walked around the town; everywhere was full of people. We had a light dinner and then went for some drinks. I didn't go to bed very late.

I got up quite early the next day to see the town during the day and without the crowds of the previous night. I had a big breakfast before going to see the sights. Caceres is a town with a lot of history and I enjoyed walking around in the sunshine. Many buildings had a stork's nest. I loved seeing the storks with their young. We had a coffee and read the Sunday newspapers in an outdoor cafe in the main square.

We took a different road back to Madrid and drove through some beautiful green countryside. We were in the mountains where there were a lot of trees.

Monday wasn't so bad because I had a relaxing weekend and a change of routine.


What about you? When did you last go away for the weekend? Where did you go? What did you do?

No comments: