Saturday, 20 September 2008

Adverbs of frequency

How often .....


  • do you go to the gym?
  • do you see your parents?
  • are you late for work?
  • do you eat out?
  • do you go to the dentist's?
  • do you drink tea?
  • do you get a taxi?
  1. I try to go to the gym three or four times a week but I am sometimes lazy. I went to the gym only once last week.
  2. I go home twice a year to visit my parents. I call them every week.
  3. I am occasionally 5 minutes late for work. I hardly ever finish on time.
  4. I eat out quite often. I eat out at least twice a week.
  5. I hardly ever go to the dentist's. I went once last year because I had toothache.
  6. I drink tea most days. I usually have a cup first thing in the morning. I don't have coffee very often now. I never go for a coffee when I am alone.
  7. It depends. I always take a taxi home if I drink.
  • Do you ever go abroad on holiday?
  • Do you ever watch films in a foreign language?
  • Do you see your friends during the week?
  • Do you buy a newspaper?
  • Do you ever make mistakes in the classroom?
  • Do you always do the shopping at the weekend?
  • Do you get angry very often?
  • Do you sometimes forget things?
  1. I often go abroad for my holidays but I sometimes prefer to stay in Spain.
  2. Yes, I do. I always see films in original version when I go to the cinema. I read the Spanish subtitles even when the film is in English. It's hard work.
  3. Not so often. I usually phone them during the week.
  4. Hardly ever. I prefer to read the news on the internet. I read English newspapers most days and often read Spanish newspapers too.
  5. Yes, sometimes. I occasionally make a spelling mistake.
  6. Not always. Sometimes I go during the week too.
  7. I get angry too often. Usually for unimportant things.
  8. Too often. I have a really bad memory.

Now make some similar questions and answer them, trying to use a variety of adverbs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sentences with Adverbs of Frequency:

1.- How often do you go to the cinema?.
I go to the cinema once a month and if the film is very good i go twice a month.
2.- How often do you eat out?.
I eat out twice a week. I sometimes eat out treee times a week.
3.- How often do you go to the shopping?.
I try to go to the shopping once a week.
4.- How often do you drink tea?.
I drink tea all day and I usually drink twice a day.
5.- How often do you go to the gym?.
I never go to the gym. I don't like the gym but I know that it's necessary. I prefer to walk.
6.- How often do you leave work at time?.
I hardly ever leave work and I always arrive at home later.
7.- How often do you read the newspaper?.
I always read the newspaper but I sometimes read the news on the internet or I listen on the radio.
8.- How often do you read the novels?.
I sometimes read French and Spanish novels.
9.- How often do you go to the hairdresser's?.
I don't go often. I go to the hairdresser's three times a year.
10.- How often do you travel on holiday?.
I travel on holiday once a year because I think that to travel is expensive.

Cristina C.

Graham said...

1.- How often do you go to the cinema?

I go to the cinema once a month and if THERE IS A GOOD FILM ON, I go twice a month.

I hardly ever go to the cinema.

2.- How often do you eat out?

I eat out twice a week. I sometimes eat out THREE times a week.

I eat out a lot.

3.- How often do you GO SHOPPING?
I try to go SHOPPING once a week.

Me too.

4.- How often do you drink tea?

I USUALLY HAVE TWO CUPS (OF TEA) A DAY. (all day = todo el día)

I often have tea in the evening and sometimes in the morning.

5.- How often do you go to the gym?.

I never go to the gym. I don't like the gym but I know that it's necessary. I prefer to walk.

I don't go to the gym now. Maybe I will return in the New Year.

6.- How often do you leave work ON TIME?

I hardly ever leave work ON TIME and I always ARRIVE HOME LATE. (later = más tarde)

I hardly ever finish a lesson on time.

7.- How often do you read A newspaper? (use "a" to talk about things in general and "the" to talk about specific things.)

I always read A newspaper but I sometimes read the news on the internet or I LISTEN TO IT on the radio.

I read newspapers every day on the internet and I watch the news on TV every evening.

8.- How often do you read novels? (We hardly ever use "the" with plurals)

I sometimes read French and Spanish novels.

I don't read many novels. I sometimes read books in Spanish. I would like to read more.

9.- How often do you go to the hairdresser's?

I don't go often. I go to the hairdresser's three times a year.

I hardly ever go to the hairdresser's. I cut my own hair.

10.- How often do you GO ON HOLIDAY?

I GO on holiday once a year because I think that HOLIDAYS ARE expensive.

I usually go home twice a year. I will stay in Spain this Christmas. My first Christmas here!

OK Cristina. That was good work! I am very happy with your progress.

See you later!