Saturday, 8 September 2007
Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner
Tom's Diner (Suzanne Vega)
I __ _______
In the morning
At the diner
On the corner
I __ _______
At the counter
For the man
To pour the coffee
And he fills it
Only halfway
And before
I even argue
He __ _______
Out the window
At somebody
Coming in
"It is always
Nice to see you"
Says the man
Behind the counter
To the woman
Who has come in
She __ _______
Her umbrella
And I look
The other way
As they ___ _______
Their hellos
I__ __________
Not to see them
And Instead
I pour the milk
I open
Up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor
Who had died
While he was drinking
He was no one
I had heard of
And I__ _______
To the horoscope
And looking
For the funnies
When I__ _______
Someone watching me
And so
I raise my head
There's a woman
On the outside
Looking inside
Does she see me?
No she does not
Really see me
Cause she sees
Her own reflection
And I__ ______
Not to notice
That she__ ________
__ her skirt
And while she__
_____________ her stockings
Her hair
__ _______ wet
Oh, this rain
It will continue
Through the morning
As I__ _________
To the bells
Of the cathedral
I __ ________
Of your voice
And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain began...
I finish up my coffee
It's time to catch the train
Here is a chance to practice the Present Continuous. Listen to the song two or three times (remember you can use the pause button) and fill in the gaps with the following verbs in Present Continuous form.
to feel / to look (out/at) / to pretend / to sit / to turn / to shake
/ to wait (for) / to try / to listen (to) / to straighten / to kiss
to get / to hitch up (= to lift up) / to think
Take a note of all the new vocabulary and see if you can understand the story within the song. Let me know which parts you are unsure about.
Check the lyrics to the song. Don't look until you have attempted the exercise!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Inma!
I think that songs can be a great way to remember words and expressions. I will post some others soon. Do you have any favourite songs or singers?
You can see that this song uses a lot of the Present Continuous. Check the lyrics here:
http://www.lyricsdomain.com/19/suzanne_vega/toms_diner.html
Do you the understand the story within the song?
It's a holiday this Friday so our next lesson will be on the 19th. Do a couple of posts and some of the additional exercises before then.
Enjoy the long weekend!
Post a Comment