(b) Where are you going?
What's the difference?
(a) is an example of Present Simple. It translates as "¿ Dónde vas ?". On its own (sin añadidos), it sounds strange. It describes a normal situation or routine. So, it is better "Where do you go on holiday?", "Where do you go at the weekends?", "Where do you go when you finish work?"....
(b) is an example of Present Continuous. It translates as "¿Dónde estás yendo?" but who says that? I think most Spanish say "¿Dónde vas?". It is for an action in progress now.
Consider the following sentence:
He usually wears a suit to work but today he is wearing jeans.
We use the adverb " usually" with Present Simple to describe a routine.
To contrast a temporary change in routine, "today", we use Present Continuous.
Similar examples:
I usually drive home but this week I'm taking the bus.
They usually go abroad on holiday but this year they're staying in Spain.
Compare the two:
(a) He lives in London.
(b) He's living in London.
(a) is Present Simple and suggests a more permanent situation.
(b) is Present Continuous and suggests a temporary situation. He's in London for the moment.
Similar examples:
Where do you work? ( more common question)
Where are you working (now)? (unusual; suggests he/she often changes jobs)
We can also use Present Continuous for the future with some verbs (pres. cont. + future time) :
What are you doing tonight?
Are you going out this weekend?
I'm having dinner with friends tomorrow.
They're flying to Paris next Saturday.
How do you translate the following? :
- A: ¿Qué haces? B: Veo la tele.
- ¿A dónde vas de vacaciones este verano?
- Me levanto a las seis todos los dias.
- Suelo trabajar hasta las ocho pero esta semana acabo a las seis.
- Vivo en la casa de mis padres por el momento.
- ¿En qué trabajas?
- No vengo a clase el martes que viene.
- Casí nunca tomo vino a la hora de comer.
- Se alojan en el Hotel Hilton.
- Se alojan en un hotel al lado de la playa todos los meses de julio.
4 comments:
Buenas tardes Graham,
A ver qué tal se me da:
1 - A: What do you do? (aunque entiendo que también sería correcto "what are you doing?")
- B: I watch TV.
2- Where are you going on holidays this summer?
3- Usually I'm get up six o'clock.
4- I work until eight o'clock, but this week I'm working until six o'clock.
5- I'm living in my parents house.
6- Do you do work?
7- Next Tuesday I'm not going to class.
8- Usually I don't drink wine at lunch.
9- They are staying in the Hilton Hotel.
10- In July, they're stay in a hotel near the beach.
Javier
Hi Javier!
1. I'd translate this as:
A: What are you doing? B: I'm watching TV.
A: What do you do ... in the evenings? B: I watch TV
3. I get up at 6 every day.
4. I usualy work until 8 ...
6. What do you do? (What's your job?)
8. I don't usually drink wine at lunch.
10. They stay...
Well done!
Hi!
This is the exercice to present continuos.
1.- What are you doing? I'm watching TV?
2.- Where are you going to holidays these summer?
3.- I´m waking up at six every day.
4.- I usually work to 8 but this week I finish at 6.
5.- I live in my parents house in this moment.
6.- What´s your job?
7.- I dont´t come to class next Tuesday.
8.- I almost never drink wine at lunchtime.
9.- They staying at the Hilton Hotel.
10.- They are staying a hotel near the beach every july.
Virginia
Hi Virginia,
It's not easy to translate, whether from Sp to Eng or Eng to Sp.
You seem to have done a pretty good job.
This is the exercise about present continuous.
2.- Where are you going on holiday this summer? (this = sing , these = plural)
3.- I wake up at six every day. (every day = routine)
4.- I usually work to 8 but this week I finish at 6. (possible)
or
I usually work until 8 but this week I am working until 6. (this week = temporary, change from routine)
5.- I live in my parents house for the moment / for the time being.
6.- What´s your job? or What do you do?
7.- I am not coming to class next Tuesday. (pres cont for near future
8.- I almost never /hardly ever drink wine at lunchtime.
9.- They are staying at the Hilton Hotel.
10.- They stay at a hotel near the beach every July.
Well done!
Post a Comment