Monday, 18 May 2009

He is taller than me.

When there is a big difference between the two things we are comparing, we use:

much + comparative
  • Greg is 1m92. Tom is 1m70. Greg is much taller than Tom.
  • Mary is much friendlier than her sister.
  • Italian food is much better than German food.
  • An Audi is much more expensive than a Renault.

When there isn't much difference between the two things we are comparing, we use:

a bit + comparative

  • I think Paris is a bit cheaper than London.
  • Yesterday was a bit colder than today.
  • The first book was a bit more interesting than the second one.

Now compare two people in your family or two well-known people.

  1. My mother is a bit younger than my father.
  2. My brother is much richer than me but I am better looking and friendlier than him.
  3. My nephew is quieter than my niece.
  4. Carla Bruni is prettier than Letizia Ortiz.
  5. Sean Connery is much older than Ewan MacGregor.
  6. Almodóvar is a better director than Amenábar.
  7. Woody Allen is uglier than Mick Jagger.
  8. Zinedine Zidane is a better football player than Raúl

If you don't name the person, then you use the object pronoun:

  • David is worse than me.
  • Carol is thinner than you.
  • My brother is funnier than him.
  • You are more intelligent than her.
  • They are richer than us.
  • We are faster than them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People in my family:

- My father is a bit older than my mother and he's a bit taller than her.

- My sister younger is much thinner than me and my other sister is a bit bigger than me.

- My partner is a bit taller than me and he's a bit shorter than you father.

- My nieces are prettier than my sister and me.

- I think my sister Mari is much friendlier than my sister Belén.

- My better friend is a bit thinner than me and she's much shorter than me but she's quieter than me.

Well-Known people:

- Nicole Kidman es prettier than Susan Sarandon.

- Penélope Cruz is much thinner than Carmen Sevilla and Carmen Sevilla is much older than Penélope Cruz.

- I think Antonio Banderas is a bit better looking than Javier Barden but Javier Barden is a better actor than Antonio Banderas.

- Zapatero is much taller than Sarkozy and Carla Bruni is much taller and more beautiful than Sarkozy.

Graham said...

- My YOUNGER SISTER is much thinner than me

- My BEST friend is a bit thinner than me

I don't agree with you about Nicole Kidman and Susan Sarandon.

I don't think Kidman is prettier than Sarandon and she is 20 years younger than her! I hate Kidman's smile. I think they are both good actresses.

I think Banderas is friendlier than Bardem but I agree with you that Bardem is a better actor.